16 June 2011

A door that closes....

Since we moved this past November, I've been sort of floating around in different work spaces. I have a desk and bookcase in the master bedroom that I don't really use (except the books), I have a desk in the dining room I use most frequently, and sometimes I sit in the recliner with my feet up. This "system" has seemed to work, but with the changes to my freelancing career, I think I would benefit from having a dedicated office.

Since we can't move into a bigger place I can't really have a bedroom as an office, and renting an office somewhere would defeat the purpose of working from home with two small kids. So I'm making do with what we have, and I'm going to create an office in our master bedroom closet.

When I first suggested it, Hubby wasn't sure about it. I think it seemed weird to him. But it's a good solution. We've been using our closet as storage (and not for clothing), so once I move all the boxes out, I'll have a good little room with a door that closes to use as a dedicated work space.

My desk will fit nicely in one corner, leaving me plenty of room for my bookcases and files. I can hang my white board and a bulletin board from the shelves pretty easily. I'll even have a bit of wall space for decorations and shelves for extra storage. It'll be perfect, I think.

I don't know how soon I'll be able to get the office up and running. (There are a lot of boxes to go through in that closet.) But I'm excited about having the space, which will motivate me to make it happen. After all, it'll be nice to not have to worry about peanut butter smears on my files or not being able to find my calculator when I need it because someone has been playing with numbers.

What does your office space look like? (Send me a picture and I'll gladly post it!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...