22 March 2016

It hurts to be still. It hurts to move.

Can I work like this?
I have chronic pain. I have for quite some time. I've been going to appointments lately to try and figure out what's causing it so I can get it taken care of.

In the meantime, I'm managing as best I can. I'm in the middle of a busy period for work, so my typical day is rarely less than 12 hours. When you have chronic pain, that's a long time to be sitting in a chair at a laptop.

There are a few things I've learned in the last couple of weeks as I've been dealing with my life lately.

1. I need a new desk chair. The one I have is technically fine. It even has a bit of padding. But if I'm going to have to continue balancing pain with work, I need more padding. And better back support. And maybe a better reclining feature would be nice.

2. Naps are okay. Sometimes I need a nap. And that's okay. Some days it takes me a lot more energy to do what I have to do, and on those days I need to allow myself to take naps so I can keep pushing forward. Sometimes naps are part of my self-care, and that has to be okay.

3. My body sucks at temperature regulation. When everyone else is comfortable, I'm either too hot or too cold, and there's no real logic in it. I spend half the day fanning myself with a client's file folder, and the rest of the day bundled up with a hoodie and blanket in central Florida. Because that's how I roll.

I'd love it if I get the answers I need at the next appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...