12 August 2015

The dangers of Christianity, in 8 easy steps!--step 6: stop doing the little extra things

Previous posts in this series:
  1. The first part of so much wrong
  2. Part two of so much wrong
  3. Step 1: rebuke her privately
  4. Step 2: rebuke her publicly
  5. Step 3: bring her before the church
  6. Step 4: stop taking her on dates
  7. Step 5: no unnecessary household upgrades
It took me a little longer to finish this post because, at this point, I really feel like I'm repeating myself.

I was going to combine this post with the remaining steps because I feel like there's not much new to say, but the next step is a really significant one, and it merits standing on its own. So I'm going to deal with this idiocy so I can get on to the next idiocy.

So step six instructs husbands to "stop doing the little extra things." Our esteemed blogger says (emphasis mine):
You know those dinners you cook, or that vacuuming you do, or those things that really she should be doing for herself, but you have simply been trying to be nice and doing for her - STOP doing them. Stop giving her those nice back and shoulder massages she loves so much.
You have to remember that in the context in which this post was written, wives handle all the domestic tasks. So all of these kinds of tasks, like vacuuming or cooking, are things that she should be doing. And when a husband does them, it's meant to be a real treat for a wife. Like, it's her birthday or something.

Does this seem unhealthy to anyone? Or abusive? Because it does to me.

See, I was under the impression that marriage is a partnership. An equal partnership at that. So it isn't so much about her responsibilities and his responsibilities as it is sharing the load and responsibilities of life.

I also thought that in relationships with designated roles, such as one in which the wife handles the domestic responsibilities, the other partner tends to do those kinds of things not just out of trying to be nice, but out of love. If you know your wife really hates vacuuming but does it anyway because she loves you, then you might find yourself inclined to do the vacuuming for her because you love her.

But I see now that marriage is much more a business arrangement. Each individual has their own tasks and responsibilities and apparently the husband is the supervisor who gives reviews and if you don't measure up (read: have sex whenever he wants) then you'll get more responsibilities added, thankyouverymuch.

I guess what it really comes down to for me is that I just don't understand how people can be so callous to another human being. Apparently, what a wife is expected to do is so much more important than who she is as a person or her feelings or--dare I say it--human rights, that it's perfectly acceptable to treat her like shit to get your way.

Either she'll give in or get out. Win-win.

How can anyone subscribe to this nonsense and still claim to worship a loving, forgiving god? Does any of this blog writer's ramblings seem remotely loving and forgiving? Seriously? Does that make any sense at all?

I'm glad we're almost to the end because I don't know how much more eye-rolling I can handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...